Letter to Lydia and Amos Gale

This letter was found , transcribed via type writer, at the Ocean County Historical Society. It is dated March 7th, 1773 and was sent apparently to Lydia and Amos Gale, from their son in North Carolina. The letter was originally transcribed by Lizzie Gale Carter, although it does not indicate where she got it, who actually wrote the original, or where the original is now.


NORTH CAROLINA MARCH 7, 1773

These lines are to inform you that I am still liveing and in good health. Thanks be to the ever lasting God for it. I shall endeavor to inform you of my misfortunes--I sailed from North Carolina Oct 27-1772 bound to Philadelphia, thinking to come home and see you all once more. I got abreast the Capes of Deleware on the first day of November, 1772. Late in the afternoon there came on a severe gale of wind fro the North West and blowed so violently I could not carry Sail--I then lay to until I had like to over set several times. The last time had much to do to right her, but our blessed God provided for us and I got her under way before the wind and freed her thinking the wind would abate but it continued so I thought we would all perish and die on the sea, and so we continued in distress for 180 days, then made the land of High-Spanila the West Indies and the East end of the island and went in Cape Samona, which is in Spanish St. Domingo, in which were all Spanish people. Being in so much distress for water and many things and racked in every way so that people took pity on us and sent to the governor of the place to inform him there had and English vessel arrived in th Harbor; and there being only among them I went on shore and the soldiers were all brought under arms as we landed with the boat. They ordered me not to take the two people that was with me, to have them stay by the boat and notl eave her.
Then they took me to the Governors' house and examined me how I came to be there? I begged hs mercy and told him all the misforutnes that had befallen me on the voyage. Then they consulted among them selves to do me no harm but to show me all the favors they could. The governor granted that I should stay among them and refit my vessel and to give me a supply of water and provisions. So I laid there nine days and refitted my vessel and then sailed for St. Nicholas Mole--thinking to get among some English people, but through misfortune and bad weather I run by the Mole in the night not k nowing the distances and fell on the North side of Cuba and new it not. I run down the old straits of Bahamas but did not know where I had got to. I found the way very difficult --did not see any vessel or hosess to get any intelligence of my mistake until I run to the bay of -----? . I run to the mouth of it and anchored and went on to inquire where I had got to. They being all Spanish people could not tell me where I was. Before many days there came one among us that could speak some English and informed me we were I had got to. He told me I was in the Bay of ----, about 20 miles to the west of the Havanas on Cuba side. He told me if I would save my one life and the lives of my people I must go back there as was no English people I could get to ---which I dare not do with out running the same risk and danger I had escaped through God's mercy for I was blown off with out any instrument of navigation on board. So I thought the best I could do was to go into the Havanas and resign myself to their mercy--expecting to have my vessel taken away from me, but when I came there they brought me to anchor under the Fort Morro Castle--but would not let me go on shore until they came with their kings Lengstour to examine me how I came to be there. I told them by what deft and how I was blowed off my course without any instruments of navigation and that I was lost--then they took me on shore to their Governor and examined me there asking me what I wanted.

I told them I wanted some sea books and a quadrant; then the King Lengstour told me he would try and get them for me. I went aboard and two days after they came with the Governors barge full of people and brought me every thing I asked for and many things beside. They gave me all and would not take any money. I left the Havanas one day after New Christmas--for New Georgia which in seven days I happily reached safe and when I related the same to the people they much wondered and it was put in the News in Georgia and Charleston/ I stayed six weeks there then took a freight of molasses for North Carolina where I arrived March 3 into Cape --- and there discharged my cargo/ then took a freight for New river, arriving March 3-7 and found it to be as fine a country as any I have ever seen and letter than I could ever think for. I have obligated with a gentleman for a run of business so I cannot tell when I can come home; I would be very glad if you would send me a letter by Captain Elias Beebe, which sails from Old Topsail to Philadelphia. If you give him a letter for me direct it to Captain William Gibbs a merchant living in New River. Then I will get it. Send the letter by Captain Beebe for he goes constantly from Philadelphia to Old Topsail--I have a great desire to hear from you all once more. Remember my kind love to you my mother likewise my brothers and sister.


There is nothing troubles me at present than our separation. I am in good health at present and hope these lines will find you the same---so no more at present but I remain the dutyful son of Lydia and Amos Gale, humble servant and well wisher to you all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biegenwald murders